I don’t know about you, but my day has been hectic! I’ve been to the grocery store, baked (delicious) cookies, washed dishes, walked the dogs, and cleaned the kitchen. It would be an understatement if I told you I was ready for a nap. In fact, my pups are busy taking a nap right now. Lucky dogs! I wish I could join them, but I need to stay awake long enough to make supper.
I have a solution to the madness. At least, it feels like a solution. This recipe is super simple and oh so delicious. I make this limeade when I need a pick-me-up. Besides, if I close my eyes, I can dream that I’m back on Caneel Bay Beach. By all accounts, this limeade will lift your spirits and give you a sense of relaxation, for however short it may be.
Time: 10 minutes
2 large limes, thin-skinned with very few bumps
3 cups cold water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 cups ice
1. Squeeze the juice of two limes into a cup. For easier juicing, warm the limes under hot water. Set the lime juice aside and place the lime peels into a blender. You should have around 1/2 cup lime juice.
2. Add two cups of cold water into the blender along with the lime peels. Blend the lime peels and water for 45 seconds. Be careful not to blend them too long as this can make the mixture bitter. This mixture should be frothy.
3. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer and into a cup or bowl. Be sure to press the pulp (with a spoon) to extract all the juices. Discard pulp. Return the strained mixture to the blender.
4. Blend lime mixture, lime juice, one cup of water, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk in the blender for 20 seconds.
5. Add ice to blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
*You can always add more sugar or sweetened condensed milk for added sweetness.
Now, if you will excuse me, I’m going to indulge in some limeade and delicious coconut cookies before I start supper. Yum!